Wondering...

In my last post, the Power of Discipleship, I introduced the concept of a POD, a Power of Discipleship group, a group of people that is intentional about making disciples.

After some wonderful preaching, a training program and a weekend conference on evangelism, and an attempt, by myself, to engage people in disciple-making through monthly workshops in our local church I've pondered before God, the question, "What would it take for the everyday person sitting in the church pew to become actively engaged in the work of the Great Commission?" "Is there some form of grassroots catalyst, like the small rudder of a large sea-going liner, that could bring about enduring change?"

I had begun applying the lessons I had learned from the recent evangelism events and my own research, and discovered God rewarding my efforts to such an extent I was having difficulty keeping up with the opportunities to explain how a person can have a personal relationship with the Living God.

"Could I help others experience the same joy of helping someone else discover Jesus?"

The initial concept was a HUB, a small group of people, who would encourage one another and be intentional in their disciple-making. We would learn how to tell our story of how we became followers of Jesus, God's story, the Gospel story, and make disciples.

I launched the initial HUB in October 2013. Three other people joined me, Lawrence, who I had baptised in 2012, Gilbert, who I introduced to Jesus during 2012 and Lenin, who persistently encouraged me to visit Gilbert. In response to my question, "Who are the people God has placed on your heart?" we quickly had the names of half a dozen people on our prayer list. Two of the people have since become committed followers of Jesus.

I initially pictured a wheel with spokes radiating from a hub as well as the concept of nuclear fusion. Wikipedia describes nuclear fusion as,

"A nuclear reaction in which two or more atomic nuclei collide at very high speed and join to form a new type of atomic nucleus. During this process, matter is not conserved because some of the mass of the fusing nuclei is converted to energy. Fusion is the process that powers active stars."

 Adapted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion


Erin, the Director of Evangelism, at one2one Church of Christ, the local church where my family worships, proposed a new name, POD, Power of Discipleship. So the initial HUB has morphed into POD's and I'm excited about developments. Others in the congregation have become interested and Lawrence from our initial HUB is now organising his own POD.

I like POD. A pod is the fruit that contains the seed of a plant. The term used for the pod of the eucalyptus tree, native to Australia, is gum nut.  The gum nut disseminates its seed under the extreme heat of bush-fire thus allowing the forest to re-generate.

Gum Nut

"Unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds."

Jesus, John 12:24


If you would like access to a brochure describing PODs, Power of Discipleship groups, and the associated Resource Booklet then simply forward a request through Comments. If you do request the material can I ask that you step out in faith and start a POD. Let me know so that I can pray for your POD. God is moving in a mighty way across the globe.


Do not merely listen to the word...Do what it says.


James 1:22

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Plunge...

Enthusiasm...

Supremacy