Davy

Leo Tolstoy, who did not disdain adding a moral lesson to his stories, ended his short story "Three Questions" this way: "Remember then: there is only one time that is important-Now! It is the most important time because it is the only time when we have any power.

A record of God's faithfulness in the past combines with hope in a better future for one end: to equip us for the present. As Tolstoy said, we have control over no other time. The past is unchangeable, the future unpredictable. I can only live the the life directly before me. Faithful Christians pray, "Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven," and then proceed to enact God's will-love, justice, peace, mercy, forgiveness-in the present on earth.;

Philip Yancey, Reaching for the Invisible God

Passing through the checkout at a large department store I came face to face with Davy. Davy is a former student of mine from over forty years ago. Every now and then I bump into Danny who loves a chat. We moved over to the shopping trolleys that Davyy collects from the car-park and chatted. Life has been difficult for Davy and this time I decided to ask, "If God can do a miracle in you life today, what would it be? Davy thought and while he couldn't come up with anything specific he began to mention the aches and pains that were coming with age. I asked, "Can I pray for you?" So there and then, beside the trolleys at the entrance to the department store we bowed our heads and I prayed for Davy and his aches and pains.

I'm looking forward to bumping into Danny again soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Plunge...

Enthusiasm...

Supremacy