God With Us II

As well as the opportunity to celebrate the birth of my saviour, Jesus, Immanuel, God with us, I appreciate Christmas by celebrating family, friends and giving.

This year I was given two books – I love reading – Mao’s Last Dancer and William P Young‘s The Shack. I devoured both books quickly as well as Taylor & Beyond by Malcolm Knox – a book I had on the shelf for some time. I watched the film of Mao’s Last Dancer at the local cinema and was waiting to borrow a copy from the local library when lo and behold, as mentioned, I received a copy as a present.

My reading of The Shack was timely as it complemented my ponderings on the theme, “God for us, God with us, God in us.” That I discussed in my last posting around the Christmas message.

Apart from wrestling with the issue of personal trauma, pain and suffering Young’s portrayal of the God-head and the threefold relationship between God, the Father, God, The Son, and God, the Holy Spirit captured my attention.

The threefold nature of God can be loosely connected with the theme, God for us, God with us, God in us.

God For Us - God the Father

God’s attitude toward us is always unwavering favour. We are created in His image and He desires to be in relationship with us.

Eugene Peterson, The Message, in 2 Peter 3:9 puts it this way, God isn’t late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn’t want anybody lost. He’s giving everyone space and time to change.

The Apostle Paul in Romans 5:8 writes, But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

God With Us – God the Son

Following the resurrection, Matthew records in 28:18-20, Jesus came to them and said, All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

God In Us – God the Holy Spirit

John’s record of the words of Jesus in 14:16-17 states, And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth.

Each one in the threefold nature of God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, work together to purposely and perfectly affect the purposes of God on earth. Rather than competing for power or authority they submit to one another and fulfill their respective roles in achieving God’s purposes.

How would this way of working operate in the workplace? Could it possibly work in some way in a workplace? If so, what would be required of the people involved?

The Apostle Paul in speaking about the generosity of the Macedonian churches writes in 1 Corinthians 8:5, And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God’s will.

Herein lies the pattern for Christian behaviour in the workplace. How then shall I behave if God is for me, He is with me and He is within me?


Acknowledgment:
Unless otherwise stated all scripture passages quoted are taken from the New International Version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Plunge...

Enthusiasm...

Supremacy