Significant Words - Profile

Significant Words – Session 1



This posting is the first in a series of three sessions conducted for the younger D-Group, a lively bunch of junior secondary college-aged young people, at the Ballarat Family Church of Christ on Sunday 12, 19 and 26 October 2008.



I explained my intent was to commend Jesus to them and encourage them to follow Him each day.

I also explained that over the course of the next three weeks I wanted to examine three words, Profile, Commitment, and CoG.



Profiler is an American crime drama that initially aired on television from the mid 90’s to 2000. The series follows the exploits of Dr. Samantha “Sam” Waters, played by Ally Walker, a forensic psychologist working for the Violent Crimes Task Force based in Atlanta, Georgia. Sam is the ”profiler”; she has a unique gift to “see” through the eyes of others giving her a special insight into the working of criminal minds. (Adapted from http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiler_(TV_series)



Activity #1 Group Profile

o Line up, tallest to shortest

o Line up, oldest to youngest

o Line up, furthest distance from home to the church to the shortest

Each group profile is graduated requiring a little more discussion on the part of the group to achieve the line up.



Activity #2 A Personal Profile



What are some of the key pieces of information you would gather on a person if you wanted to get to know them?



Let’s start with me…



Responses were quickly recorded on butchers’ paper, name, age, children, grand children, married, favourite activities, job, car, school, siblings, parents, favourite colour, favourite song, favourite TV show, and favourite subjects.



Now in pairs build a profile of each other.



To complete this part of the activity invite selected pairs to present each others profile to the group.



Finally invite the group to build a profile of Jesus. Record the responses on butchers’ paper.



Psalm 139: 1 - 6



God knows all about us.

You have searched me, Lord,

And you know me.

You know when I sit and when I rise;

You perceive my thoughts from afar.

You discern my going out and my lying down;

You are familiar with all my ways.

Before a word is on my tongue

You, Lord, know it completely.

You hem me in behind and before,

And you lay your hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,

too lofty for me to attain.



God knows us intimately, God knows us inside out, and through and through. Everything I do, every thought that goes through my head, every step I take, every plan I make, every word I speak, He knows them before they ever happen. God knows what is behind me and before me.



At times we may feel that nobody understands my hurts, my feelings or my frustrations. But God knows. He has our profile at the very centre of his heart, Psalm 56:8. (Adapted from JR Woodward, http://www.com/awakener/weblog/2667.html)



Activity #3 Search Me – Know Me



(Adapted from http://www.christiancrafters.com/lesson_Godknowsu.html)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Plunge...

Enthusiasm...

Supremacy