Spoilt...

Recently my wife emphatically reflected out loud,  "We are spoilt!" I wholeheartedly agreed. We were sitting at table following our evening meal. The past three years had been difficult. My recovery from heart bypass surgery hadn't been all plain sailing.  However, we had received wonderful support throughout. It had come from all quarters, the medical professionals, family and friends.

My wife went on to ask, "Why us?" I thought afterwards I could have responded with, "Why not us?" However, I didn't but responded with the thought that we had been spoilt so that we could spoil others.

I had in mind the passage in Ephesians where the Apostle Paul writes, "In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us." Ephesians 1:7‭-‬8 NIV

In difficult times we had experienced the lavishness of the riches of God grace and we in turn could help others experience some of this richness.

But wait, there's more. Only a few days earlier I had been rushed to hospital with what I thought was a possible stroke. Once again the emergency health system kicked in to ensure I received the best possible care. Following my arrival  in emergency I was quickly diagnosed with Bell's palsy. With the tests completed, and medication prescribed I was released from hospital the same day.

Again the sense of being spoilt came through, the immediate treatment by medical professionals then the follow up support from family and friends.

Three weeks later I attended a neurology clinic for a follow up appointment. While unexpected I was pleased to discover it was the same neurologist, David, who had attended me in emergency. After a few questions and a few facial exercises on my part David expressed his surprise at how quickly I had recovered from the palsy. I explained that we had a wonderful circle of friends, who were praying for me. He posed the possibility  of an MRI scan to see if there was some other underlying cause to the palsy however, he first wanted to talk to his supervisor.



David left the room and after several long minutes returned with his supervisor, Thomas. David explained that he had difficulty in convincing his supervisor, and Thomas wanted to see for himself.  Thomas asked me to blink both eyes and while he noted a slight delay in the eye on the affected right side of my face. He confirmed David's assessment regarding my recovery and left, leaving David to finish the consultation. David handed me a slip of paper, which he had signed, explaining that he didn't need to see me again, wished me well,  and to hand the slip to reception on my way out.

I felt SPOILT! The whole experience was amazing and I celebrated simply by quickly sending a text message to family and friends, and then enjoyed a cup of coffee before heading home to tell my wife.

Another passage written by the Apostle Paul  in Ephesians came to mind, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20‭-‬21 NIV

Be asssured God wants to spoil us, to lavish the riches of his grace upon us.

But wait, there's even more. These events have occured in the context of my being the primary carer for my wife. My ill health directly affects my capacity to care for her and in turn her quality of life is affected. So together when we say we have been spoilt we speak from first hand experience.

Not only is God our Rock, our Refuge in a time of need, He is our Provider in the midst of our needs. And does this lavishly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking the Plunge...

Enthusiasm...

Manage Quality Customer Service II